Tuesday, May 29, 2012

my wife's old obsession - burrata and how to cook a wolf

Quite some time ago, a friend couple took my wife and me out to dinner at Ethan Stowell's How to Cook a Wolf.  I had not developed my (annoying) habit of taking pictures of what we ate.  The dinner was excellent (and below I will give a rough idea of what we ate and our opinion).  

The star of the meal though was the Buratta dish.  Buratta is a mozzarella cheese with normal mozzarella on the outside wrapping mozzarella on the inside that is mixed (minced) up with creme.  I am fairly certain that after that point, Buratta became the basis for an extra five pounds around both our waists.  You can typically buy some (not quite as good as Stowell's) in Seattle at:

Quality Cheese
Pike Place Market
Corner Market and Sanitary Market
1508 Pike Place
Seattle, WA 98101
qcheese@nwlink.com

DeLaurenti Specialty Food and Wine
1435 1st Avenue
Seattle, WA 98101
206-622-0141

Borracchini's Bakery & Mediterranean Market
2307 Rainier Ave S
Seattle, WA 98144
206-325-1550


Here are a few shots of Buratta from How to Cook a Wolf (they are not mine).  The first is a better shot, the second is closer to what we ate - burrata with a salad (not shown) and figs (shown).  

So, our impression of How to Cook a Wolf?  It was delicious.  Think Italian tapas.  We ate at least the beets, burrata, escolar, beef tartare, tagliarini and campanelle.  There were a few other seasonal dishes that have since escaped me.  Obviously the Buratta was a huge hit, and my wife was surprised to enjoy the tartar so much, but I also remember thinking that it could have been even better (ergo, no 4.5 or 5 star).  My wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit and are planning a return visit soon...

How to Cook a Wolf
2208 Queen Anne Avenue North
Seattle, WA 
206-838-8090
4 of 5

2 comments:

  1. You be crazy. 4.5 at the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ande. Your opinion will only become valid on this blog when you decide to write a guest review...

      The end.

      Delete